Short Term Visas

Tier 5 Temporary Workers

Young people eager to experience life in the United Kingdom and those who need to work for short periods of time in the country will be able for a Tier 5 visa for Temporary Workers. This scheme, part of the UK’s new five-tier points based system, allows young people from countries with which the UK has certain agreements and voluntary workers to live and work in the UK for up to two years.

There are several sub-categories for temporary workers, including:

  • Temporary workers – creative and sporting
  • Temporary workers – charity workers
  • Temporary workers – religious workers
  • Temporary workers – government authorised exchange
  • Temporary workers – international agreement
  • Youth mobility scheme

Domestic Workers

This category does not currently fit under the new Tiered system; however it remains open for applications. If you wish to accompany your employer to the UK as a domestic or household worker, you will need to apply for a Domestic Worker visa, not a Tier 2 visa. This type of visa includes chauffers, gardeners, cooks and nannies, who have been working for their employer for at least one full year. You will most likely be granted a visa for between six and 12 months, depending on the length of stay of your employer. This visa can also be extended.


This visa is for an individual wishing to travel for a period of up to six months to the United Kingdom. Whether the trip is for 1 week or 5 months a visitor visa will be required.

Visitor visa holders are prohibited from working, paid or unpaid, during their visit in the United Kingdom and must show that they have enough money to support and accommodate themselves without working or help from public funds. Business visitors however can go to meetings with United Kingdom businesses or negotiate and enter into contracts with them, go to trade fairs, conferences and classroom training.

A business visitor may do business that is directly linked to their employment or business abroad. They must not do work which would require a work permit. They should get a salary from abroad but may receive reasonable expenses from sources in the United Kingdom to cover travel and living expenses.